Stafford County Lunatic Asylum – October 2013

Stafford County Lunatic Asylum – October 2013

The Stafford County L:unatic Asylum opened in 1818 and was one of the first rate aided asylums to open.   Originally built to accomodate just 120 pauper lunatics it expanded, and eventually accomodated over 1000 patients.   The Victorian institution was later renamed St George’s Hospital, ultimate closure occured in the mid-1990s.