With the opening of a new museum, a local film winning at the Oscars, and Miami's usual debauchery, 2017 was a scenic year in South Florida. Here's a look back at the slideshows that captivated readers this year.
1. Scenes From Spring Break 2017 on South Beach. As the rest of the United States freezes, Miami stays warm, attracting spring breaks from all over the country. Even with the City of Miami Beach trying to curve the rowdy crowds that gather every March and April in South Beach, young 20-somethings continue to flock to the area to bake in the sun and party.
2. The Fashion at Ultra Music Festival 2017. Body paint, coordinated groups, homemade costumes, and a less-is-more approach dominated the fashion of Ultra Music Festival 2017. Festival-goers with panache got their moment in the spotlight at downtown Miami. Because what easier way to identify your friends in a crowd than by wearing a bunch of giant squid heads?
3. Flashback Photos From South Beach Before Bros and Boob Jobs. In HistoryMiami's “South Beach, 1974-1990: Photographs of a Jewish Community," the South Beach you know and love (or love to hate) is barely recognizable. Photos by Gay Block, Gary Monroe, Richard Nagler, David Scheinbaum, and the late Andy Sweet show its elderly residents living their best lives. These seniors may have been snowbirds, but that doesn’t mean South Beach lacked personality.
4. Highlights From Lincoln Road's Halloween 2017 Debauchery. Lincoln Road celebrated another Halloween for the record books, with huge numbers turning out in costume for a night of parading and debauchery along the legendary stretch of South Beach.
5. Cam Con 2017 Fan Day at Space Night Club (NSFW). Cam girls and boys from around the country arrived in Miami for another year of industry events for models, fans, industry, and webmasters with Cam Con 2017. On Friday, June 23, fans were able to meet and greet their favorite cam models in the flesh (all while grabbing a little flesh) at the iconic Miami nightclub Space.
6. Scenes From Moonlight's Oscar Block Party in Liberty City. At the #Moonlit Oscar Block Party, locals came out to root for the hometown film Moonlight at the African Heritage Cultural Arts Center. The crowd celebrated as the film took home Oscar gold in three categories, including best picture.
7. First Look at the New Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science. The Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science will finally open its doors to the public on Monday, May 8. The Frost's grand opening is expected to attract thousands of wide-eyed locals. In the museum's three-building complex, visitors can find awe-inspiring displays, from feathered oddities to mechanical artists.
8. The Best (and Weirdest) Cosplayers of Florida Supercon 2017. Florida Supercon 2017 packed the Broward County Convention Center July 27 through 30, with Saturday tickets selling out and thousands of cosplayers and fans coming in from all over South Florida. There was some incredible creativity on display at this year's convention. Here are our picks for the best cosplayers of Florida Supercon 2017.
9. Florida Supercon 2017: Highlights from South Florida's Largest Comic Con. Florida Supercon 2017 packed the Broward County Convention Center July 27 through 30, with Saturday tickets selling out and thousands of cosplayers and fans flooding in from all over South Florida. With celebrity guests, crazy costumes, Q&As, live wrestling, artist demos and contests, there was plenty to do and see over the four-day convention. Check out these highlights from the 2017 event, and our picks for the best (and weirdest) cosplay.
10. The Runway Fashions of Miami Swim Week 2017. Here are our favorite runway looks from Funkshion, Swim Miami, and satellite shows featuring designs from Lolli, Vichi, Grayon Boyd, The 8th Continent, Agua Clara, Versakini, Ankara, Agua Bendita, and Tankovitz for Miami Swim Week 2017.